Brass Pot Shaped Storage Ghee Thooku
- Brass has a strong traditional value across India in terms of usage for cooking and storing purpose.
- This Thooku design is a unique age old designs with a nice long handle to carry them along while traveling or for storing cooked sweets/savories especially during Deepavali.
- The tin lining process is done by heating the brass metal in a furnace and liquid tin applied and allowed to cool down.
- Old Storage containers were also made of very large sizes for large families.
- A 1000 year old brass craft from a rural community in Rayalseema region of Andhra Pradesh known for creating masterpieces with brass with high durability and creativity.
- Their ancestors created the most amazing brass sculptures in temples carving beautiful images of Garuda, Nandi and many more Gods and Goddesses.
- The artisans follow the learning transferred verbally over generations and create brass through a unique process of heating and molding that helps them to replicate attractive designs and shapes.
- The unique aspects of this craft is that the top and bottom segments are attached though coupling and beating which is a very traditional way of joining instead of welding.
- Brass being an alloy of Copper and Zinc have strong anti-oxidant properties and prevents growth of bacteria/virus.
- Tin coating process is age old as use of brass in kitchen. This process is critical to protect any acidic items reaction with brass metal.
- Brass will oxidise over long duration exposure. This is relatively slower than copper.
- Use tamarind or lemon while washing to get back the shine.
- The inner surface is given a tin coating for protection and re-tinning has to be done once the metal shine is visible through the coating.
- This could last anywhere between 1-3 years depending on frequency of cleaning and type of ingredients stored.
- Refrain from using steel wired scrubs as it can errode the tin lining faster.
- When the inner brass metal is visible, please remember to give it for re-tinning process.
Write Your Own Review
You may also like