- Bronze as an alloy has been used for making cookware for many centuries.
- A significant traditional use of bronze in Kerala is during the celebration of Vishu and Onam for making sweet dishes like ada pradhaman, chakka pradhaman and other sweet dishes in this utensil.
- Over the years, our ancestors had developed techniques to make cooking vessels using five metals which were supposed to provide immense health benefits. Makers of such cookware no longer exist and we have lost a significant part of our traditions to histroy.
- Age old traditions use small gaps filled with Tin metal within the inner surface of the vessel to help in better conduction as well as maintaining the food warm for hours together.
- The artisans of Kerala are known for their craftsmanship using pure bronze in varying sizes from 7 inches to humungous 30 inches in diameter .
- The artistic process starts with sand cast and moulding of the bronze cookware in specific shapes. The volumetric capacity of the vessel determines the thickness and thereby the weight of bronze in the vessel too.
- The rough mould is later worked in machine tools to give shine and smooth cooking surface. It takes 5-6 days to make one utensil.
- Bronze is a durable metal and can be used for a very long period of time or even passed on from one generation to another.
- Kadai with its high heat carrying capacity helps in uniform cooking, prevents nutrition loss and keeps food warm for hours after cooking in them.
- Traditional bronze cookware is made of 80% Copper and 15-18% Tin (with 2-5% Zinc added to help the casting process) and can be used for all types of non-acidic based cooking (without tamarind and lime).
- Zishta Bronze Kadai is made of pure bronze and mild oxidisation will lead to dullness of colouring over period of time .
- Scrub the utensil with tamarind or ash or combination of both to revive shine .
- Broze Kadai or Cheena Chatti is made heavy and needs to be handled with care .
- Retains heat for long, use cloth or mittens to handle the same after cooking.
Write Your Own Review
You may also like