Copper Coated Iron Chimes-Heart
(Incl. of all taxes)
- The unique melodic tone from the copper coated iron bells of Kutch, Gujarat, is a craft which is 1000 years old.
- These metal bells from centuries back had adorned the necks of cattle and signified each animal’s status and position in the herd.
- Today the copper coated iron bells have been adapted as chimes for our homes and their sound has a special calming effect
- It is interesting to note that though the bells have 4 parts, welding is not used. It takes a lot of skill to artfully put the parts together as a single unit.
- The bell is rolled and dipped in clay and in a mixture of brass and copper powder. It is then baked.
- The tongue of the bell is from Babul tree. Each bell has a different sound and no bell is the same. The craftsmen tactfully continue to beat it till they get the appropriate sound.
- It takes around 4 hours to make a single bell. Other than smaller tools, no other machinery is used in making these bells.
- The bells have a unique sound which gives a feel of being in vastness and is soothing to the mind.
- The idea is to provide a sense of calmness with the subtle sound playing in the back ground.
- Hang them in a breezy place or inside your home as a traditional décor to the interiors of your house.
- Use dry cloth to dust them. Do not leave them in water.
- Oxidisation of the copper coating is natural, If you are cleaning with tamarind/lime- please wipe all the water off the surface and keep it dry.
Write Your Own Review
You may also like