- Traditionally copper Ghangal was used for taking bath as copper is known to purify water. It was also used to carry flowers during the worship of dieties.
- Ghangal in modern days is used for interior decoration as well as to keep fruits and flowers fresh for longer hours.
- The Tambat makers of Maharashtra has unique skills honed over centuries to work with Copper and brass metals
- The process starts with making of a mould and making the rough product and processing the same.
- This process is a crafts secret which is shared only within the Tambat community.
- The rough products are hand worked for 3-4 hours with a finely balanced hand hammer beat on the surface to provide the unique craftsmen signature.
Benefits of copper vessels have been extensively documented in Ayurveda:
- Drinking water stored in copper vessels eliminates harmful bacteria
- The pH level of the water increases and it naturally becomes more alkaline
- Keep flowers and fruits in the Ghangal
- Use tamarind or lemon while washing to get back the shine. Refrain from using steel wired scrubs