Round Fry Pan: Manipur Black Pottery
Your Price: ₹1,980.00
(Incl. of all taxes)
(Incl. of all taxes)
- North East Region has always been a very difficult region to access and the unique traditions of the region has not reached other parts of the country for a very long time.
- Due to the terrain and immense forest cover, the communities were extremely adaptable and use available material which has become an integral part of their traditions.
- The black pottery is a traditional cookware of the NE region and have been part of many traditional homes for generations.
- The technique of this art is said to be handed down from the Neolithic period. A unique feature of this craft is that it is crafted without a potter’s wheel.
- It is made out of crushed Serpentinite and Weathered rocks (from the Longpi region) which are powdered in a wooden and bamboo vessel & mixed with water to make clay.
- The clay is moulded to pots and pan shape and then put to the kiln at 900 degrees celsius.
- When the pots and pans are ready, they are rubbed with the Chirona leaf which renders the cookware black.
- The stone pottery of Manipur is not only aesthetically appealing but also boasts of several interesting benefits:
- Weathered rock contains naturally occurring Iron which in turn provides iron supplements to the food cooked in it.
- Cooking in this prevents morning sickness for pregnant women.
- Food cooked in it sizzles for a long time after it is taken off the stove and the cookware ensures that the food remains warm for long, this results in lesser nutrition loss while reheating food.
- They can be used directly for cooking on gas and microwave.
- While the pots are excellent for high and low flame cooking, they are particularly known for their property for cooking food for hours without burning it.
- They are breakable products: Please handle with care!
- They are pre-treated and can be used directly on gas stove or microwave oven
- The pots without the canes can be used in oven. Do not use pots with canes in the oven.
- Wash them normally with regular dish washing liquid. Avoid steel scrubber.
- The black colour is derived from the treatment given to the baked cookware using Chirona/ Machee Leaves. The base stone colour is reddish black and with usage, spotting of red colour of base rock happens.
- Handle could heat up while cooking, use a cloth to hold the handle. Preferably use it for short cooking process.
Write Your Own Review
You may also like