Traditional Brass Spice Box (Masala Dabba/ Anjaraipetti)
About Zishta Traditional Brass Spice Box (Masala Dabba/ Anjaraipetti)
- India is known across the world as the land of spices and they play a significant role in our unique and varied cuisines.
- Masala box is the common thread that connects our varied cuisines cutting across cultures and region!
- Traditional use of brass as spice container is to preserve the rich anti-oxidant properties of the predominant spices used in our cooking.
- Days we can still remember when our grandmother opened the nice compact brass masala dabba (Anjaraipetti) to concoct a mixture of spices for tadka which adds the special taste and memories to the food.
- Zishta in collaboration with the Traditional artisans of Maharashtra bring you the authentic hand crafted Brass spice box which fits in to your modern kitchen with ease.
- The brass spice container comes with 7 compartments , Siz small neem wood spice spoons (Optional) and one Pure Iron Tadka ladle (Optional) to complete your kitchen.
- Relive your golden memories whenever you take the spices from Zishta spice box and transport you to your grandmother’s kitchen!
- Zishta cookware are tested in NABL accredited laboratory and comply with EU standards for Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS).
- Caution: Do not store salt, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder (Seeds form are fine) in the brass masala dabba as its very corrosive and will react with brass.
|Size||Weight (Kg)||Height (Inches)||Diameter (Inches)||Total Package|
Brass Box, 7 Brass Cups
Cup Capacity : 50-66 Grams
All our products are handcrafted and this results in each product being unique and slightly different from each other and therefore will have minor variations on dimensions & weight.
- Spice box is an integral part of every Indian cuisine and brass was the preferred alloy for making the same for many centuries.
- Reason for brass being used traditionally is because Zinc which is a metal part of the alloy has immense anti-oxidant properties and helps to preserve the anti-onxidant benefits of all the spices we generally use. Anti-oxidants, as per modern research, helps fight cancer cells in our body.
- The age old spice boxes started with just 5 compartments (thereby the name Anjaraipetti in Tamil) but with more spices being incorporated in our cooking, the box compartments has increased to 7.
- The content of the various compartments varies with region and geography but the essence remains the same, to provide quick access to the spices as and when we do the tadka.
- Traditional old boxes used to come with a plate between the compartments and the lid to hold dry red chillies.
- The Tambat makers of Maharashtra have unique skills honed over centuries to work with Copper and brass metals
- The process starts with making of a mould and making the rough product and processing the same. This process is a crafts secret which is shared only within the Tambat community
- The rough products are hand worked for 3-4 hours with a finely balanced hand hammer beat on the surface to provide the unique craftsmen signature.
- Brass spice box is the preferred alloy for making the spice box as it lasts longer and does not impact the quality of spices stored in them.
- Brass being alkaline by nature, helps in keeping the spices fresh for long.
- Lasts for generations
- No harmful metals or chemicals. Tested for quality.
- The brass spice box is made without any kalai (tin coating) as it does not come in contact with acidic food /spice items.
- Use tamarind or lemon while washing to get back the shine. Refrain from using steel wired scrubs
- Outer box is lacquered to slow down the darkening or oxidisation process.
- Do not store acidic substances like lime, salt etc in the spice box as they are corrosive and reacts badly with brass.
- Simply the most beautiful thing in my kitchen! Perfect craftsmanship, perfectly gliding edges, shines divinely. Couldn’t ask for anything better!
- Fine craftsmanship. I've yet to come across such a beautiful and unique masala box. Excellent brass quality. Heavy and sturdy. More than anything it is like a showpiece. It is good to know that so much effort has gone into reviving old traditions.
Excellent packaging and on time delivery by the Zishta team.
- This is the awrsonest spice box o ever owned. It isn't tough to maintain . The gauge is thick and the box pretty heavy . Since I use it to store just dry spices all I need is a damp cloth once a month to clean up . The golden sheen just elevates my kitchens beauty . One of the best products by zishta
- I can't tell how cute it is, apart from how it looks, it is great to store spices in it, as it is made of fine quality of brass.So that the spices can stay fresh. I appreciate zishta team for bringing such a beautiful handmade piece.
Keep going ......and all the best...... For launching a website.
- I have been using Eversilver and Tupperware Masala boxes for a very long period.
Zishtas Brass Spicebox launching was literally a shock n surprise to me.
Such a cute, beautiful piece but very sturdy too.
Zishtas Brass quality is far better than others.
Let us pass on this wonderful product to the next generation.
This box would last for atleast 10 years without any doubt.
Spending 3350 rs on something that would last a decade is the wisest option.
Instead of gifting show pieces n cookers n Non stick items, we can gift this beautiful piece .