Zishta Hand-Crafted Rail Adukku Set
- Rail Adukku was a unique innovation by the traditional clusters of Tamil Nadu for large families who travelled for months together on pilgrimage to different parts of the country.
- Before hotels and dining places came into existence, people while travelling would take this Rail Adukku - a Compact set which can support the cooking and serving needs of the travelling group.
- The same is made in different sizes depending on the number of people travelling. The largest of these traditional rail adukku were designed to support a group of 10-15 members.
- The artisans of Tamil Nadu have re-created this lost art and have made it in compact sizes which would be of utility value in our homes.
- The traditional artisans of Tamil Nadu had been making these rail adukku for more than 100 years (what we could document) since the advent of rail journey in India.
- The artisans innovated on this set which could be made compact while travelling but has enough components that could support a large group while travelling for days or even months
- The craft was lost over the last 20-25 years with availability of food at restaurants and even at your doorstep.
- With a resurgence of importance to traditional way of life, these clusters have re-created the magic for modern households to experience this innovation.
- Crafted by hand, the whole set has to be made by hand with beating brass sheets to the shape and size.
- Each internal component has to be made to precise dimensions so that all of them fit inside the outer shell perfectly.
- Post making the outer shell, the artisans then heat the vessels in very high temperature and apply the tin coating which is important for all brass cookware.
- The rail adukku set has many components that can be individually used in our homes in the cooking process.
- The Wide mouth handi called "Vatta Adukku" is ideal for making all forms of vegetables, meat, etc
- The Narrower tall pots called "Uyara Adukku" is great for cooking rice, gravy dishes like sambhar, rasam etc.
- There are two smaller adukkus which provide support in serving purposes for storing ghee or dal or pickles or just to serve water.
- Brass glasses are part of the set which could be used for serving beverages like tea /coffee
- Strainer plate is critical to drain excess starch water from the rice cooked in them
- A large water container is also provided as part of this set which is equally critical while traveling for days!
- The Rail Adukku has 14 components with each of them can be used in the kitchen.
- Please wash them gently with liquid soap and water (mild detergents) and do not use steel wire scrubs which could impact the tin coating done on the inside.
- Use lime, tamarind with salt mixture to clean the outer surface to get the shine.
- Always post wash, wipe the surface of water to prevent oxidisation of surface due to presence of water particles.
Write Your Own Review
You may also like