Soapstone Cookware Kalchatti (Treated)
Soapstone Cookware Kalchatti (Treated)
- Curries to gravies, sambhar to palak or dal, every cook we met made it a point to disclose the secret behind the distinct taste and flavour: Kalchatti. One more age old traditional utensil passed on for several generations.
- Kalchatti is made of stone (soap stone) from the earth and is designed to retain heat and keeps food warm for 4-5 hours. The natural minerals are imparted to the cooked food thereby providing the right supplements and nutrition.
- We bring this back from last generation of artisans toiling 16 hours a day to make the best Kalchattis.
- More than 16 hours of labour results in two to three pieces of the cookware. This starts from extracting the rough small block of soft stone from the mine and chiselling the utensil out of it.
- As soapstone is very delicate to heavy machinery, all of this has to be done manually with a chisel and wooden block. Even hammers cannot be used as they can undermine the structural integrity of the stone.
- The sheer intensity of labour and hours to make one soapstone cookware makes it difficult to get more workers when easier options are available in the market.
- As each of the utensils are carved out of a block of soft soapstone, it is very difficult to produce standard and consistent sized products.
- Minimal oil usage
- Consumes lesser fuel as they retain heat for longer and hence reduces time to cook.
- Food remains warm for 4-5 hours as these vessels are good insulators thereby prevents nutrition loss while reheating food
- Nutrition of food remains intact: the nature of the stone and cooking of the food evenly retains nutrients
- No harmful chemicals. Tested for quality.
- The cookware is treated using the traditional technique of castor oil and turmeric. The cookware can be used immediately for cooking.
- Though the kalchatti is treated, it has to get used to your style of cooking. We recommend that for the first one week to follow the below instructions carefully:
- Wash cookware well before first use
- Cook food in medium to low flame so the stone gets used to your style of cooking
- Do not do the seasoning first on the stone or add oil for onion frying for first 12-15 uses. Seasoning (Tadka) to be done in a separate pan and then transfer it to the Kalchatti.
- Even after good amount of treatment, we recommend that always add oil to soapstone cookware and heat it together before doing tadka or onion frying
- Do not pour cold water on hot stone after cooking (for wash), this can crack the stone and render it useless for cooking.
- Use regualr cleaning agents like liquid soap or bars for cleaning.
- Please do not use wire scrubs for cleaning.
- Once the stone gets used to your style of cooking, you can cook in higher flame.
- Caution: Soapstone has to be used carefully in low flame for first 10-15 uses of cooking and only gravies to be cooked initially. Exposing them to sudden temperatures can cause sudden cracks/chip off or damages to the cookware.
- I purchased large size soapstone and I am in love with this product. It keep the food warm for longer period as well as it develops my interest in cooking too..Thankyou zishta for helping me to purchase such a wonderful product
- Such a nice product. My mom is literally in love with it. We ordered extra large kalchatti. Can we use it immediately after the delivery, the same day ?
- Hi I have bought coffee filter , cast iron Kadai, paniyaram stone products from Zistha and am really happy for buying the products with Zistha as mentioned all the products are in good quality and good taste, thanks to Zistha for bringing back the old traditional products.
- Im using this for the past two months almost daily. I'm in 30s . Have heard of this Type of product from parents and grandparents. They use to have this as part of their kitchen. We do have the huge one. This product from zishta is very good in quality. Elders are satisfied. Easy to clean. The dishes made out of this gives more taste. Worth buying for my kitchen. I live in USA, people visiting our place are surprised to see this and they like the dishes made out of it. Awesome one. Thanks zishta team!!
- Zishtas Soapstone Kalchatti , Soap stone containers as well kadai are amazing.
They do the seasoning too.
Compact ones.Very convenient to use.
Dont have to worry abt buying Traditional cookware anymore.
Sit at home and buy Zishtas products
Excellent packing n courier service
Zishtas team is very co operative , respects the customers and values Customers Money too.
Write Your Own Review
You may also like