Bronze Mortar & Pestle
About Zishta Bronze Mortar & Pestle
- A traditional bronze mortar & pestle have been part of many traditional rural households especially used for hard beetle nut grinding.
- An Imagery that has captured many peoples imagination through use of the same in many movies in Tamil.
- These traditional solid bronze Mortar & Pestles are hand-crafted by the traditional artisans of Tamil Nadu.
- The traditional use of bronze is mainly for very hard spices, soap nuts, beetle nuts etc where the metal helps in better coarse grinding.
- These bronze mortar & pestles are created using the traditional sand casting technique honed by this cluster over 8-10 generations.
- Zishta cookware are tested in NABL accredited laboratory and comply with EU standards for Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS).
|Size||Weight (Kg)||Diameter (Inches)||Height (Inches)||Pestle Length (Inches)|
All our products are handcrafted and this results in each product being unique and slightly different from each other and therefore will have minor variations on dimensions & weight.
- Traditionally bronze mortar & pestle have been an quintessential accessory in every village household.
- Beetle nut consumption is ubiquitous in many traditional homes and is offered part of every family celebrations and auspicious occasions. These bronze mortar & pestles used to play a significant role in crushing these nuts for larger serving.
- The single piece heavy units though traditionally have always been made to the sizes which can be conveniently used by old people for their beetle nut consumption!
- The artisans of Kerala and Tamil Nadu are known for their craftsmanship in making intricate brass and bronze work for temples.
- The same artisans extended their expertise in making these traditional cookware. The artistic process starts with sand cast and moulding of the bronze cookware in specific shapes.
- The volumetric capacity of the vessel determines the thickness and thereby the weight of bronze in the mortar & pestle too.
- The rough mould is later hand worked to give shine. It takes 2-3 days to completely make one mortar & pestle.
- Bronze Mortar & Pestle is a sold single piece unit that has a very long life.
- The pestle is narrow and heavy, its designed to pulverise hard nuts like beetle nut, walnut and the weight helps crush these hard nuts with minimal effort.
- As its a sold metal, unlike granite or soapstone, possibility of powder stone does not happen in them.
- Mild Oxidisation of Bronze is natural and washing them with tamarind or lime will help in bringing back the shine.
- The bronze mortar & pestle are made heavy and can crack if dropped from considerable height.
- Handle them carefully and place them away from children
- Do not store spices, mashed ingredients in bronze for too long in the mortar.