Seasoning and Maintenance of Iron and Cast Iron Cookware
How to season an Iron Tawa?
- Step 1: Wash the Tawa well. Then soak the Tawa in starch water for 8 hours. This step is optional as it depends on the quality of the tawa.
- Step 2: Wash it again, wipe it dry and apply a coating of cooking oil. Tawa is ready to be used.
- Step 1: Wash the cookware well and immerse in starch water for a day
- Step 2: Once dry, apply a mixture of castor oil and turmeric all over the vessel & leave it aside for a day.
- Step 3: Wash well & dry it. Keep it on the stove. Pour 5-6 spoons of oil & fry small onions in low flame for 5 – 10 minutes. Then throw the onions. Wash the cookware and it is ready to use.
Check this video below from our youtube channel on the seasoning of Cast Iron Cookware
How to maintain Iron & cast iron cookware?
- Clean it after use with regular dishwashing liquid or soap & regular scrubber.
- After cleaning, wipe it dry.
- If the cookware will not be used for more than a week or two, apply a coating of cooking oil.
- Cast iron gets better with usage.